Sunday 10 July 2011

Saturday July 9th


Well if the EDL think they can count people attending a protest march in Plymouth I am afraid they are very much mistaken. I knew something was going on at about 10:00am when I went to meet the girls. There was a police helicopter and about 6 vans driving past. When we had spent some time with my parents and they had been given their presents from Brazil we decided to walk into the city centre. On our way we were passed by a number of other police vans and cars and there were a number of officers and community support officers walking around. My eldest held on to my hand very tightly and we laughed at the old "Have you been naughty?" joke! Eventually we got to the middle of the city centre and came across a number of other vans and cars and even a couple of police horses! 

We headed for West Hoe park and to the Hamster balls, trampolines, and tea-cup ride but as we were walking back towards the Barbican area the police helicopter circled above us again! As we headed around by the Citadel we saw a few flags flying and a lot of policemen and vans again. EDL members must have totalled about 120 if that but the police numbers must have exceeded 400-500! To be honest from what I saw the protest was relatively peaceful. In fact if they were there to raise a noise and draw attention to themselves they failed miserably! I have heard more noise at a scout camp! 


When I had dropped the girls back to their mother I went back home to watch the England Ladies take on France at the Women's World Cup. In the end France won on penalties but that came after England had actually scored the first goal. At the end of full time the score was 1-1 with France scoring in the dying minutes of normal time. Scores still level at the end of extra time and as is often the case for the men, the women had to endure a penalty shoot out! I got very hopeful when France missed their first shot and England scored but it was not to be and after scoring the rest of theirs and England missing two of theirs it is France that go through to the Semi-finals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment